A blog where women are inspired and encouraged to grow in their relationship with Christ.

Monday, January 30, 2012

"Be Still and Know that I am God"

Source
When our two sons were little, they were very active, talkative and yes, rambunctious! Telling them to sit quietly in one place without waving their arms or poking at each other was surely asking the impossible. They would sit still for a few minutes (seconds, really), and then be distracted by something as ordinary as a bird flying overhead. Once again, they’d be squirming and talking... as if I’d never told them to “Be quiet and sit still!”

I have pretty plaques around my home quoting one of my favorite scriptures, Psalm 46:10, “Be Still and Know that I am God”. I’ve loved having this scripture in my home as a steady reminder of the importance of having an intimate, trust-filled relationship with God. At times, I’m able to rest my mind in Him, be quiet in my soul, and really trust Him. Those are times filled with indescribable peace and a “knowing” that defies words...only He can enter into that deep soul-space with me.

Lately however, I (like our sons), have become easily distracted. For several months I’ve had major "life-blips” that I’ve allowed to distract me. I’ve had fewer times of intimately “knowing” my loving and holy God. I’ve sensed Him saying, “Be quiet, be still, and know Me” and yet, I’ve continued to allow myself to be distracted. I think of it as having spiritual A.D.D.!

Oh, but I’m so thankful that He doesn’t give up on me! As my Father, I can hear him patiently and lovingly say, “I’ll help you to ‘Be still and know that I am God”. I’m trusting that He will help me turn my thoughts from the distractions of the day and rest my mind in Him. How about you? Are you easily distracted these days? If so, please join with me in asking Him to help us to quiet our minds and sit with Him in that deep soul-space where we are transformed by our sweet and powerful Savior's presence.

 
In His glorious name,
 Mary

These are just a few of my distractions.  How about you?!  What would you add to the list?

Finances                                                                           
Health 
Family relationships
Work
Facebook
Internet  
A squirrel running up a tree!
Laundry
Cleaning
The evening news
Love of reading
Oh look!  A bird flying overhead!

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post! You always speak directly to me! Love it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much to me. I love reading each and every one! Thanks so much!