A blog where women are inspired and encouraged to grow in their relationship with Christ.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

How do I know?



“God is not a belief to which you give your assent. God becomes a reality whom you know intimately, meet every day, one whose strength becomes your strength, whose love, your love. Live this life in the presence of God long enough and when someone asks you, “Do you believe there is a God?” you may find yourself answering, “No, I do not believe there is a God. I know there is a God.”  ~ Ernest Boyer, Jr.




How do I know there's a God?
 

I look back over my ever expanding number of years, and think of all the deep, dark, bottomless pits of need that I’ve tried so desperately to fill with that which will never bring me joy, peace, or satisfaction.

Wanting so much to be loved and accepted, and yet, not knowing...loved by whom...accepted by whom? Would one good friend be enough, or would I require ten good friends before my “acceptance” pit would be filled?

And what about that ever present need to be loved? Would the love of my husband and children be enough? Or would it also take the assurance of a mother and father’s love before that quota would be satisfied?

What of my security need? Would it take a certain income...a nice car? Or would it take an assured retirement...before my “security” pit would be filled?

How much is enough? The answer... Apart from God...no amount will ever be enough. I will always be needy and insecure apart from my Father.

How do I know there's a God?
I know because He has filled the deepest, darkest, loneliest, most desolate parts of my soul with His grace...His presence is real. He has poured in His grace, and brought light and a kind of “cleanness” to so many ugly parts of me. He alone is able to fill my bottomless pits of need. He alone is enough.

I pray that you will allow Him to fill your "need pits" with His grace, His forgiveness, His love, His strength, His restoration, His redemption.  He is enough!

Love and blessings,
Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments mean so much to me. I love reading each and every one! Thanks so much!